This week we introduce children’s book illustrator Erika Palovaara. From dancing to Picasso, get to know her and what keeps her inspired.
Name: Erika Palovaara
Date: March 13, 2013
Time: 5:05 pm
Location: Sweden, Stockholm
Occupation: Children`s book illustrator.
The Nitty Gritty
1) Before you started this Q&A, what were you doing?
Working on the next book.
2) Are you a morning or night person?
Absolutely a morning person!
3) Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 17, and find line 7, what does it say?
..can subheads be written in headlines in sequence and page numbers.. (?)
4) Do you remember your dreams?
5) Tell us something about you that most people don’t know.
I always feel guilty for something, anything and everything.
6) If you could change one thing about the world, regardless of guilt or politics, what would you do?
Remove the feeling “own/be entitled to”
7) Do you like to dance?
8) What did your last text message say?
9) If you could have lunch with one famous person, who would it be?
Astrid Lindgren. Pablo Picasso. Michelangelo. But they´re all dead. All interesting people are dead! Maybe Percy Barnevik? I saw him on TV earlier today and he seemed sharp and slick!
10) What are you currently obsessed with?
My split ends. I got to have the worst hair quality ever!
11) What word do you use the most?
This is embarrassing. I asked my man and he told me its probably “Oh my god” (like Bernard Black in “Black Books”) I use it when I am falsely upset. Apparently I`m that quite a lot.
12) 3 things you’d like to do before you die?
1. Continue with what I`m doing and see how far it takes me.
2. Find the perfect house for almost no money!
3. Earn so much money that I don`t need to take a loan to buy that house.
Bonus: I would also like to fly all by myself, speak all language, sing like a goddess and be able to see into the future, just a couple of days in advance.
13) Have you ever been in love?
All the time!
14) If given a yacht. What would you name it?
Thalassa, to fool myself that this boat is one with the sea. I would sell it quite fast.
15) Who do you admire the most?
Probably the persons that I would have lunch with. The most? Astrid Lindgren. Sweet, strong and creative woman. Or, that’s what I think she is. I would know better if we had that lunch.
16) If handed 10,000 dollars what would you blow it on?
An awesome stereo and speakers! With really, really good sound.
17) What is the one thing you can’t live without?
My right hand, or.. my hands.
18) What were you doing at midnight last night?
Sleeping. I woke up 05:20 this morning, well rested.
19) What did you want to be when you grew up?
20) What would you tell your 13 year-old self?
Go on. You’re on the right way, believe in yourself and don´t try to adapt so much.
Artwork by Erika Palovaara
For more information about Erika Palovaara check out: