For the launch of our new section Great Minds we want to present the artists that inspire us. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words and Hannah Dansie’s artwork not only inspires but it really encapsulates the quirky artist herself! In order to get to really understand Hannah we asked her some questions only people that knew her would know the answers to. We hope you have as much fun reading her responses as we did.
Date: March 1st, 2013
Time: 12:36 PM
Location: Wedge Studios, Asheville NC
The Nitty Gritty
1. Before you started this questionnaire what were you doing?
Chatting with my friend and studio mate Julie Armbruster about all the millions of things we have to do today.
2. Are you a morning or night person?
I’m a morning person that is constantly staying up too late!
3. Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 17, and find line 7, what does it say?
“States at the time, reminded whoever named it of pine needles.”
4. Do you remember your dreams?
5. Tell us something about you that most people don’t know.
I am terrified of cameras and I despise bright purple.
6. If you could change one thing about the world, regardless of guilt or politics, what would you do?
I would kill all of the mosquitos.
Seriously though, I don’t even know where to begin answering this question. There is so much wrong with the world that we live in, somebody should really do something about it.
7. Do you like to dance?
Sometimes, my favorite place to dance is in the dining room with Dora and Greta, my best friends and most wonderful dogs on the planet.
8. What did your last text message say?
Well this is embarrassing…It was an emoticon of a poodle.
9. If you could have lunch with one famous person, who would it be?
It’s a tie between Jon Stewart, Rachel Maddow and Dolly Parton. Please don’t make me choose between them.
10. What are you currently obsessed with?
Chances with Wolves, a radio show on East Village Radio. I started listening a couple of years ago and I swear it gets better every week.
11. What word do you use the most?
Beebee, not a real word I know, it’s my dogs nickname but I feel like it is a good word to describe all things tiny and cute.
12. 3 things you’d like to do before you die?
It’s really pretty simple for me…
1. Be successful with the work that I do.
2. See as much of the world as I can.
2. Raise a family and live a long and happy life with my husband.
*bonus* 4. Build a house with my own two hands using the $10,000 someone is going to hand me in question 16.
13. Have you ever been in love?
14. If given a yacht. What would you name it?
Okay I want to be clear about this, I live in the mountains, so if anyone out there is thinking about buying me a yacht it is a terrible idea. That being said, if I was given a yacht I guess I would name it after my cat Ari, he is giant and ridiculous so it seems fitting.
15. Who do you admire the most?
16. If handed 10,000 dollars what would you blow it on?
I would use it to build a tiny house/art shack in my backyard.
17. What is the one thing you can’t live without?
The ability to make things…well, that and fruit.
18. What were you doing at midnight last night?
I was curled up in front of the wood stove with my husband watching Battlestar Galactica.
19. What did you want to be when you grew up?
An artist, always an artist.
20. What would you tell your 13 year-old self?
Be kinder to your family, they love you.
For more information or images of Hannah’s work check out her website.